Re: [Amps] MLA-2500

To: <n4zed@comcast.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MLA-2500
From: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:09:57 -0500
I might as well add my opinions here too. <:-))

I had a MLA-2500 for several years. Actually I had quite a few of their amps
while they were in business and although I didn't much care for the power
supplies, I never had a problem with any of them from the little GLA-1000
(Lord, I'd hate to have to retube one of those now days) to the DTR-2000.
Wellll... I did have a small cap blow in the 2000. Little sucker sounded
like a 38 being fired in my den. Actually the can blew off the base and it
looked like a 38 wadcutter that had hit something solid (like the top of the
case).

At any rate, with my voice characteristics (very high peak to average) I
drove the crap out of the little rig with very high PEP output while the
average in was modest.  It still had full output after 2 years of that.
I never found the need for any mods and the 2500 tuned and loaded normally
160 through 10.

>I am in the process of adding Rich's (AG6K) parasitic suppressor kit to my
>Dentron MLA-2500 and while I'm at it I want to address the apparent
>mis-loading of the amplifier.

I doubt that is necessary, or at least I wouldn't think so.

> I know others have noted that the amp requires full mesh on the loading
> cap to achieve full output, mine has the same "problem".

Never had that problem.
I found it to be very easy to drive so I can't imagine why any one would
want to modify the input as has been mentioned elsewhere.

> Has anyone found a fix to this apparent problem?
> Does it need "fixing"?
> Should I worry about it?

Somethings not right and I'd have some concern over that. As I recall there
are some "padders" in there  on 160 and 75 (it's been a long time since I
owned one so I am relying on an old and shaky memory) and I can understand
the "full mesh" if they are not getting switched in, but that shouldn't be a
problem on 20,15, and 10.

Are all connections made to the band switch?

I believe some where in this thread you said the thing is basically new and
indicated appears it has never been used so it is possible something, or
some connection was missed during assembly.

As expensive and hard to find as those tubes are, I'd treat it very
carefully and want everything working right.

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)