Re: [Amps] ferrite in RF chokes for PAs

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ferrite in RF chokes for PAs
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:40:53 -0800
Lots of good advice in this post.

See comments interspersed, lots of snips to save space in the digest.

On Thu,  6 Mar 2008 08:29:02 -0700, John Lyles wrote:

>Plate RF choke has an appreciable DC current component in it. This
>lowers the effective mu of the ferrite, and makes it less effective
>as a choke.

YES!  The good news is that this can be predicted from mfr data sheets.
The bad news is that you probably won't like the prediction. More bad
news -- the DC will also cause heating, very possibly overheating. When
that happens you have no mu at all (until it cools).

>Ferrite-loaded inductors still do have parasitic resonances due to the
>stray capacitance from wire turns.

And also capacitive coupling from turn to turn and end to end through
the ferrite, which is also a dielectric.

>They tend to shift down in frequency so they still have to be taken
>care of that they are not excited at the normal operating frequencies.
>There is no free lunch here. Less turns of wire, for sure, but also
>the resonances are lower due to the higher permeability in the coil's
>medium.

The measured data in my tutorial for coils of 1-14 turns on toroidal
cores of five different materials is a good illustration of this. The
tutorial also includes a discussion of how DC affects the behavior of
ferrite chokes and how to use the mfr's data to compute it.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

The equivalent circuit of a wire or a coil of wire passing through a
ferrite core, or wound around a ferrite rod, is a parallel resonant
circuit. The R, L, and C of that resonance will appear in parallel with
the rest of the circuit, and do exactly what you would expect from R,
L, and C in parallel. The R will burn some power and lower the Q, while
the L and C will do some resonating.

The values of R, L, and C are not easy to measure, primarily because R
is usually very large and C is usually quite small (often much less
than the stray of the test setup). The tutorial shows one way to do it.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC