Re: [Amps] Transceiver Output Impedance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transceiver Output Impedance
From: "David Cutter" <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:18:25 -0000
One of these days I will try the following experiment.

I will MAKE a rf signal generator and add resistance in series with it to a
load of 50ohms and stop adding resistance when the load voltage is half the
open circuit voltage.  I will then assume this signal generator has an
output impedance of 50ohms.  OR I will take a "known" 50ohm signal generator
and test it for open and loaded output voltage.

Then I will take say an ICE bandpass filter that has been tested on someone
else's high grade test rig and characterise it on my signal generator with a
50ohm load.

Then I will do the same with a transmitter and see if the results are the
same.  If they are, I will assume that my transmitter is also 50ohm "output
impedance."

Then I will be more sure which side of the fence to drop.

I suspect the output impedance of a broad band amplifer with L-C low pass
filters and transformer matching stages (possibly even feedback,
feedforward, stabilisation, etc ) does transmission line stuff and is not
just like a resistor in series with a zero source (Thevenin).

The heavy weights have been arguing about this for quite a while and I've
seen magazine articles on the subject.

David
G3UNA