[Amps] grid bias supply

To: <amps@contesting.com>, <rfamplifiers@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Amps] grid bias supply
From: "Steve Flood" <kk7uv@bresnan.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:53:55 -0600
I was looking at an amp design from a 1959 issue of GE Ham News.  Two 813s
grounded-grid linear.  What makes this design different from the others I've
looked at is the addition of an adjustable grid bias supply.   What
functionality does this feature add?  From what I could glean from the text, it
is used to set the zero-signal plate current to 40 mA for SSB tuneup, and for
"almost zero" plate current for CW tuneup. Is this amp trying to operate in two
different classes?

Steve KK7UV