Re: [Amps] Replacement of plate caps on glass tubes

To: <k2ki@starc.org>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacement of plate caps on glass tubes
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:59:16 -0400
I also use furnace cement but do it in a slightly different  way.

Clean out as much of the original cement as possible, rough up any smooth
areas.

Thin the cement with water so it is a little thicker than the consistency of
regular cement.

Tin the plate lead and put a thin film of flux on it..

Fill the upside down cap with cement.

Install tube, hold cap on with fingers, turn upright and place in a socket.

Hold down cap while flowing solder on the lead depression. Try not to burn
fingers!

Wipe or brush off any visible cement with water. You can also outline the
cap with a marker pen and lightly oil or Vaseline the surrounding glass.

Place tube in the toaster oven, in sunlight, or whatever to conform to
curing process detailed on container. Do not install connector until fully
cured. Some circuits may allow you to install tube and operate with filament
only.

For loose tube bases use another furnace product, refractory cement, aka
water glass.

If you live in an area without home furnaces go to a heating supply
contractor as they are used by commercial/ndustrial sites.

DO NOT use super glue on tube bases, it has been known to fracture tubes as
it ages.

Carl
KM1H