[Amps] AL-80A HV Glitch

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] AL-80A HV Glitch
From: Mark McCloud <k6ycv@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:25:15 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

I have an AL-80A that has developed a sort of momentary shutdown. I have it
connected to 115vac.
I noticed a momentary "snap" after it was turned on for a while but wasn't sure
it was coming from the amp.
Later it developed the momentary loss of HV but came back immediately. In fact,
the HV meter never dipped more
that a few hundred volts while idling before coming back to about 2900 volts. I
took it off line and popped the cover to look
for anything that looked or smelled bad. Nothing found so far.

As a precaution I ordered 8 new Mallory caps from Mouser thinking that they may
be the cause. Any thoughts?

Mark
K6YCV