Re: [Amps] Fw: AL-80A Problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: AL-80A Problem
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:18:28 +0100
Mark McCloud wrote:
>Since I was replacing the 10ohm 12w resister I thought I would go with
>something a little beefier so I had a 25w part in stock.
>Well, I turned it on and the resister slowing blistered before I turned
>it off. Back to the drawing board.
>Any thoughts?
>Mark
>K6YCV

Almost certainly, the root cause is that the step-start relay is not
operating. This leaves the resistor permanently connected in series with
the mains, so the original 10W resistor blew and the 25W replacement
gets very hot.

Look for the cause of the relay not pulling in. It may be the relay coil
has failed, but it's more likely to be one of the other components
around the relay. (Sorry, I don't have a schematic, but others on this
list will have more direct experience.)

When you have fixed that problem, wire a 2-amp SLOW-blow fuse in series
with the resistor. When the step-start is operating normally, this fuse
will never have enough time to blow, but if the step-start should fail
again, the fuse will blow after a few seconds to protect the resistor
from cooking. (I believe the credit for this idea goes to Alpha.)

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek