[Amps] CAI CL-36 Autotune HF amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] CAI CL-36 Autotune HF amplifier
From: "Jerry Muller" <k0tv@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:41:31 -0400
Gents,

I have a CAI (Communication Associates, Inc.) CL-36 amp (uses an 8877) and the
documentation I've got doesn't match.

I've only got the amp deck. The manual and schematics I have show a fixed
switching regulator for the tube heater but the actual unit has an adjustable
one.

The autotune circuitry in the manual has a big setup with stepper switches for
band switching etc and the actual unit I have uses 7 high voltage relays, has a
diode matrix to select them, and a board with a bunch of digital ICs that
simply aren't in my manual.

I've gotten the heater lit up and now I'm working on the autotune servos and
the tuning mechanism. The amp doesn't behave like the document says it should.
There's a board on the front with 10 presets for tuning and loading. With
nothing connected, most of the LEDs on the preset panel are either on or on
dimly. The document says to ground out the one pin for the band you want but
grounding the pin only makes the LED go out.

It looks like it would be a great amp for my contest station and I'm motivated
to get it working.

The manual on WA1HZK's web site is the same as the manual I've got. It's not
the right one.Does anybody have a manual or any other information on this beast?

Thanks and 73,

Jerry - K0TV