Re: [Amps] HV transformer issue

To: n3db@radix.net, amps@contesting.com, km1h@jeremy.mv.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV transformer issue
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 21:26:24 EDT

I could be wrong about this but my recollection is that not only should the
through bolts be insulated, but also the hardware at both ends as well. The
idea  is to prevent an accidental shorted turn that has high current and hot
spots as  a result.

So. in addition to the insulating sleeve, you may need some insulated
shoulder washers as well.

I can't see that a significant voltage would be involved so no need for
exotic insulating material; most anything should be ok that can handle a bit of

heat from the core. For convenience, a piece of heat shrink tubing might work
well for the bolts.

73/k5gw

In a message dated 5/3/2008 7:31:59 P.M. Central Daylight Time,