Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 64, Issue 24

To: <WarrenWolff@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 64, Issue 24
From: <Randy.Randall@healthall.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 08:44:56 -0400
That will work fine, but I would increase the voltage 5 - 10 V every 10
- 20 Min and insert a 120 V lamp in SERIES with the Variac to act as a
current limiter.  Use the same wattage lamp as the line input wattage
rating of the rig.  If something happens to the caps while reforming
them (short circuit is the worst!)  the lamp will take the overload
instead of that expensive transformer and there will be less danger of a
fire.  But as always anything can still happen so I would stay with the
rig while it is being conditioned.

Good luck,
Randy.  AB9GO

p.s.  Get rig inside and let it sit for a few days with the top cover
off just to get rid of any moisture that may have accumulated.  A small
fan blowing on the rig will speed the process.

Randy E. Randall
Network Engineer
The Health Alliance of Greater Cincinnati
Phone 513-585-7146
Fax 513-585-7159

copies of the original message.

>>> <WarrenWolff@aol.com> 4/14/2008 11:36 AM >>>
Greetings,

I know someone on here is an expert.

I have been off the air for a looongg time.

I have an old, but previously functioning, FT-101EE
wrapped  in a plastic bag in my garage.  I would
like to put it on the air with a  temporary vertical.

It seems to me that many years back, I *restored*  my
Johnson T-Bolt by *cooking* the capacitors by starting
off with a power  line voltage of 30 VAC or so, and
daily increasing the voltage level around  10 volts
until I was up to 117 VAC.  I used what we called a
VARIAC;  I guess it is an autotransformer, to adjust
the voltage.  The linear  worked fine after this type
of seasoning.

Is this what I should pursue with my YAESU?   Other
recommendations?

Thanks a bunch in advance, Warren;  W7WY

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)