Re: [Amps] Uneven tube glow in pair of 3-500z

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Uneven tube glow in pair of 3-500z
From: Charles Johnson <k4zrj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 16:43:54 -0400
Thanks for all the replies! Must have a dozen or more.
Did some more investigation based on the many suggestions and have
determined that the problem is with one of the tubes. It appears that
the filament has a small piece that has broken off, causing only the
bottom half of the filament to lite. If I look into the tube carefully,
I see a small piece of the filament, about 1/4 of an inch long and
curved, maybe forming a third of a circle, loose inside the glass. The
resting plate current for that tube is about half (60 ma) of the other
tube. Plus, I can see that the top half of the filament is not lit, only
the bottom half. The other tube is lit all the way to the top of the
filament/grid region.

I gather from this that the filament is constructed, not from a single
wire, but from at least two wired in parallel. I even measured the
resistance of both tube's filaments and find that the bad tube reads .2
ohms whereas the other tube reads .1 ohms.

So, looks like I have a bad tube. Also, of interest, as one reply
suggested, the good tube gets more color on one side of the plate than
the other, suggesting that the plate is not perfectly centered around
the filament and grid. Could be the amp took a jolt at some time and
damaged the tubes.

Anybody have a known good pair for sale? Any recommendations on buying
new tubes?

Thanks again for all the replies.
73, Charles, K4ZRJ