[Amps] AL-1200 - MO Power??

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-1200 - MO Power??
From: "Tony Brock-Fisher" <barockteer@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:00:21 -0400
I have had an AL-1200 for over a sunspot cycle. It has run well, but never
quite made the 'full boat' in terms of output. 1300 watts usually is what I
get. HV runs a tad low, around 3450 volts no load. I never drive it with more
the 100 watts (don't have a rig capable of more than that stock, and no, I
don't want to 'tweak' my Pro2 to make over 100 watts due to IMD concerns).

I am tempted to rewire the transformer primary to boost the HV. If I wire it
for 220 instead of 240, it would boost the HV to 3763V. 9.1% boost in HV would
give me a 19% increase in Po for 1547 watts out (naturally I would dial back
the Pro2 for legality).

Yes, of course I have read the warning in the manual that says not to rewire
the primary for more than 3700 volts.

I'm assuming that this warning is because the voltage rating of the string of
HV caps is only 3600 volts (8 x 450V). (Which seems like a pretty marginal
design in the first place).

Supposin' I was to add another cap to the string, with the proper bleeder
resistor. Now the HV rating of the cap string would be 9 x 450 or 4050 volts.
Total capacitance would go down from 210/8 (26.25 uFd) to 210/9 or 23.3 uFd -
not a huge deal.

Does anyone see any problems with this idea? Any other concerns with boosting
the HV?

-Tony, K1KP