Re: [Amps] ALPHA DOA...

To: "Amps Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ALPHA DOA...
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:30:08 -0400
> as long as they work....but if something happens you are trapped,- just as
> you tell.

I never thought I would live to see the day when the life expectancy of my
old Alpha 70V with its extremely scarce 3CV1500A7 tube may actually exceed
that of the microprocessor-based 4CX800 amplifiers.

The 3CV1500A7 uses a directly-heated cathode, and is extremely robust.  I am
on the original tube from 1970 and emission is still excellent.
Notwithstanding the boiler, the tube is electrically and physically
identical to the 3CX1000A7.  Thankfully, I have two new spares that I've
been rotating into service for short periods of time as a de-gassing
maintenance measure.

Every other mission-critical component in the 70V can still be purchased new
today, including the OEM vapor components.

Paul, W9AC