Re: [Amps] Transformers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformers
From: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:11:42 -0700 (PDT)
--- Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:

> Anyway, I will keep preaching for the do-it-yourself
> approach. Winding
> transformers is easy! No significant machinery is required.
> I really
> think that anyone who can build an RF power amplifier,
> certainly can
> wind the transformer for it.

Years ago, I needed a transformer to use with "An RF Proof 30-Amp Supply" from
the ARRL Handbook (http://www.dd1us.de/Downloads/an rf proof 30 amps power
supply 1_0.pdf).  I already photoetched the control board and fabricated a
chassis and had an otherwise dead HV transformer of sufficient core size.  So,
I gave rewinding it a try, using 8 AWG magnet wire instead of the miles of
hair-thin wire.  I obtained the wire from a motor rewinder.  It works great!

> A few days ago I wound two large high voltage transformers
> for use with
> my water turbine setup. Today I published a set of photos
> showing the
> construction process of these transformers. Those of you
> who are
> interested can have a look at this page. The transformer
> photos are down
> near the end of this long page:
>
> http://ludens.cl/paradise/turbine/turbine.html

That's REAL cool, Manfred.  Kudos to you!  You can operate Field Day high power
w/o having to refuel a noisy generator or run batteries dead... and get an
extra 100 bonus points for natural power! hi

> If anyone wants my Excel spreadsheat to calculate
> transformers, I will
> be glad to send it by direct e-mail. This spreadsheat will
> not do the
> full job, but it's a significant help in designing and
> optimizing
> transformers.

Why not post it on your website for everyone to have?