Re: [Amps] need 1000pf blocking cap

To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] need 1000pf blocking cap
From: kk2ed@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:41:37 +0000
Is the 15kv version rated for a higher current?  The RF Parts web sites says
one thing (same as the 5 or 7.5kv versions), while my paper copy catalog from
them says its higher (3x higher). Which is correct?

What about my concern of RF current?   Is it substantially higher than the DC
current present at the plate choke?  How does one go about determining the
level of RF current?  Can it be derived from Ohm's law - I=P/E  ?  Or does
something else come into play?   If its simple Ohms law, then the cap is
probably passing approx. 2a  (5kw/2700v), which SHOULD be ok for the HT-50's
rating, but I thought I remembered reading that RF current is a little
different.

Thanks for the tips on the soldering and vacuum relay. I check those first. All
solder connections looked good and passed resistance tests. Same for the relay;
I energized it without RF present, and it passed continuity tests in NO/NC
positions.   The fact that the variable caps (LOAD, TUNE) had no effect seems
to solidify my suspition of the doorknob cap.

Eric
KE2D

From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>