[Amps] European Tube sources

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] European Tube sources
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:40:01 -0600
For the record here:
Both Thompson and Amperex are still making glass tubes. Not all of the glass
tubes, but the more profitable glass tubes. For instance, you can still buy
3-500Z from the Amperex Covimag factory in France. It was owned for a while by
Richardson I believe, but it appears to be independent now, however Richardson
does depend on this factory for product. We just bought some, they are used in
one of our pulse amplifiers, and we had tried PRC tubes and gotten horrible
quality for our first sample, so I avoid them now. See
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=6841.0.

Thompson is now Thales, and still makes their tubes in the same factory in
Thonon les Bains. I have visited it numerous times, last in March, and seen
tubes with glass envelopes still being made - less of them though. They are
having difficulties getting skilled glass makers (an art as well as skill) and
getting enough glass tubing from suppliers too. Some of their HV pulsed
modulator tubes, used in CAT scan machines for example, are being discontinued.
Its unfortunate because for serious HV (like >100 kV) glass excels over most
ceramic insulators. Thales also bought the Telefunken production as well as
some of Seimens and the ABB high power line. All of these are now produced in
the same factory, which helps them make these devices more economically.

Last week I took home a pair of brand new matched 3-500Z in cartons, from the
estate of a SK. They are marked matched, having paperwork stating such, and
they have PRC stamps on them. Someday I will find out if they do indeed work
that well, but right now I have good Eimacs in sockets in my Powerock 314R1 as
well as an SB220.

73
John
K5PRO