Re: [Amps] Tube Upgrade for Motorola 2 Meter Amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube Upgrade for Motorola 2 Meter Amp
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@tbc.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:37:38 -0500
Years ago when I was a service tech, my boss gave me a really nice 1963
vintage Motorola 1 range tube type quarter kilowatt station.  The final
deck uses a pair of 4-125 tetrodes in push pull configuration.  As I
recall, the plate supply is about 2200 volts.  If I were to convert this
to class AB1, and regulate the screen voltage, I would get barely enough
power to be noticeably louder than my 160 watt Mirage brick.  I would
like to figure out some way to make this into a usable 2 meter weak
signal amp.  The tuned input and output lines are there, but I need
better tubes.  What sort of changes might I consider to get this clunker
back on the air where it belongs?

Steve WA9JML