Re: [Amps] QRO Heat management

To: <aa6eg@k6bj.org>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QRO Heat management
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 13:05:26 -0500
Pat I cant speak to the latest and greatest overpriced stuff that has
very little value added, to me anyway, over something 20-30 years old.

Ive been using external muffin fans since the first computer surplus hit
the streets in the early 70's and still use them on amps and even xcvrs
under high duty cycles.

Commercial rigs from the 50's like the HT-32 and CE 100V had fans built
in.

With the little PC fans from my local old PC parts dealer I adapt them
into test equipment, my Viking I, and lots of old hot running antique
radios which I collect and restore. A very small amount of air movement
does wonders.

With respect to vinatge tube gear I also use a 12-13V bucking xfmr to
bring the AC down to around 110V which helps considerably. Each work and
operating bench is fed with a suitably sized transformer to an outlet
strip. Upstairs Ive either added them into consoles or other radios that
have the room underneath or mount them in a small outlet box. Since a 2A
xfmr can handle a 200W+ piece of equipment it isnt expensive nor does it
take up much space.

Carl
KM1H