[Amps] 3 phase transformers on single phase - advice pls?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 3 phase transformers on single phase - advice pls?
From: DAVE WHITE <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:49:37 +0000 (GMT)
Guys

I'm sure I should know the answer to this, but just can't seem to find anything
in my literature or on the web.  A friend (G7ODR, cc'd on this email) and I
have scratched our heads, but the more we discuss the problem, the more complex
it becomes.....

If I use a 3 phase transformer (either a 380v or 415v primary) on a 240v single
phase power supply,  then what will happen in the secondaries?

I think the transformers that I have access to are delta input and star
output.  They're open 3-bobbin jobs rather than potted or enclosed.

Can I wind the secondaries in series without overloading the insulation?
Could I wind them in parallel?  Would I hit core saturation problems?

So, to put a few figures on it, if it's a 12kva 3 phase 380v in, 6kv out, what
would happen with the various permutations if I try to wire it onto 240v single
phase?

I'm actually looking for 4.5kv RMS out at 10kva and can get a
single phase one custom wound, but at a price (£950 from TEC).  Anyone in the
UK know of a cheaper but quality source?

Phone a friend, ask the audience etc.... ;-)

Any ideas appreciated.

cheers

Dave G0OIL / K2MOO