Re: [Amps] High SWR

To: Ken-W9KB <kbills@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High SWR
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:33:25 -0800
Ken-W9KB wrote:
> I was looking around on 15m this past weekend for that elusive
> multiplier during the Sweepstakes and I noticed my exciter was
> folding back power as a result of a high SWR between it and my
> amplifier. The SWR between amplifier and antenna was great (handled
> with Palstar AT-Auto Tuner – modified to accept two SO-239 inputs).
>
> Since I was on a SteppIR at the time, I set my tuner to it's 'bypass'
> mode. I still had a high SWR between exciter and amplifier. Last
> night while playing around with it, I decided to add a low power
> tuner between my exciter and amp.. Bingo, full power out.
>
> The Palstar AT-Auto Tuner disables the exciter's internal ATU
> function, do I have to add a 'tuned' the length of coax between
> exciter and amplifier or should my Alpha be happy?

You don't say what kind of Alpha it is, but as far as I know they all
have tuned inputs which should provide a good match to the exciter
unless something is wrong. You should not need a tuner or any special
length of cable between the exciter and the amplifier.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco