Re: [Amps] Closure on the Vacuum Relays, Plus...

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Closure on the Vacuum Relays, Plus...
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:29:02 -0800
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:25:10 -0600, Phil & Debbie Salas wrote:

>I've found that there are several transceivers that disable the amplifier
>well before the RF output has decayed to zero, which causes hot-switching of
>the transceiver output.

The TenTec Titan 425 has circuitry that senses RF input and won't let T/R
relay drop until RF input has gone away. This prevents hot switching of the
T/R relay in the power amp in this situation. This works entirely within the
Titan, and is independent of how the amp is keyed. That is, you can try to
switch the Titan out of transmit with the front panel Standby/Transmit
switch, and it will keep on transmitting as long as there's RF drive.

I suspect that other Ten Tec amps do the same.

73,

Jim K9YC