[Amps] Sourcing QRO components

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Sourcing QRO components
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:00:11 -0800

I was wondering if many/any of the folks on this reflector have affiliations
with  professional broadcast....as in SBE or other organizations.    It seems
that some (many) components of  ham QRO construction are (always have been)
hard to com by, or to BUY.

Over the years, I have met broadcast station engineers, shared coffee, and
chats, and viewed
the awesome TX  ( a good one was  the old 50KW Continental transmitter and
antennas at WSM in Tennessee). And I recall that there were a lot of similar
circumstances at transmitter sites..
There is often a graveyard, or shack at the broadcast site,  somewhere, that
has a number of old transmitters, exciters, and other TX site "junk" that has
been decommissioned, or as spares...

It was also interesting to see the size and weight of the B+ supply
transformers, for stations
or exciters in the 1-5 KW range...MUCH BIGGER/Heavier than what we hams are
used to, and
probably with that weight, a very high reliability factor.  I often ran into
these, sitting on an old barn or shed of a BC station that obviously had not
bee touched for years.

Is it likely that properly approached, a connection could be made by QRO
oriented hams, with the local chapters of the SBE, and friendly trades or good
deals could be made for those needing QRO parts?
A shame to see such good stuff laying gathering dust....

All the Best, Pat Barthelow,
 AA6EG   aa6eg@k6bj.org   Skype: sparky599
Jamesburg Moon Bounce Team
http://www.jamesburgdish.org

"The most exciting phrase to hear in Science, the one that heralds
new discoveries,  is not "Eureka, I have found it!"    but:"That's funny..."
----Isaac Asimov