[Amps] HENRA 4K-ULTRA HELP

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] HENRA 4K-ULTRA HELP
From: K8MLM@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:29:12 EST
The other day I heard a poof in the Henry 4K-U and it tripped the mains
circuit breaker.  I opened it up and looked for something burned or smoke
smell
and found nothing.  Then fired it up for test.

Other than the Grid Current idling high (about 40 ma in low power setting /
70 ma in high power setting) when the amplifier is keyed in SSB  with no
modulation, everything else operated same including power  out.  On the air
checks
also seemed normal.

In the low power setting if I consider the idling 40 ma point the zero
position it operated and reads normal grid current, e.g., it reads 40 ma at
idle
with no modulation. When modulating SSB it rises an additional 30 ma  grid (40
ma + 30 ma rise = 70 ma).

This leads me to believe something in the grid meter circuit has  gone out.
Before I open the top and check the grid current metering  adjustment per the
manual (page 12 para 5.5) and trace the circuit, I wonder if  anyone has had a
similar problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

K8MLM