[Amps] Tube Advice Needed

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tube Advice Needed
From: "Charles Rushing" <crushin2000@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:45:46 -0600
Hi All,

I'm new to this list so forgive me if I've missed the appropriate thread.
Recently I purchased an Alpha 76A (3-holer) without tubes.  My intent was to
convert it to a pair of 3C(P)X800A7 tubes, but so far I haven't been able to
find them at anything less than breathtaking prices if at all.  While
pondering alternatives I ran across numerous 3C(P)X1500A7s for sale in the
$200-$300 range.

Does anyone have any experience with or advice on converting this amp to one
3C(P)X1500A7?  I realize it would require a socket replacement, but
shouldn't require an additional filament transformer.  It seems that a .1
ohm or so resistor in the filament line should drop the voltage down to the
required 5 volts.  Does this seem doable or am I way off base here?

73s & Happy New Year,

Chuck

WA5MUV