[Amps] Power transformer...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Power transformer...
From: robert briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:41:00 +1100
Hi all....I have just received a power transformer salvaged from a Yaesu
FL dx2500 linear...I have checked it out and it appears in excellent
condition....I am about to build another monoband 160 meter CW only
amplifier and would prefer to use a single tube rather than pairs of
GI-7BT....I already have two linears with the 7B tubes.....I am
wondering if this transformer would handle a GS-31B say to 800 watts
output CW....The primary is 850 volts ac with about 17ohms DC resistance
through the secondary....According to Yaesu it is rated to 1
amp...Voltage doubled it would give around 2500volts....I know the 31B
would only be coasting at this power level and cooling wouldn't be a
problem..

I do have a second new twin C core transformer which is heavier but it
was built for running a pair of 813's and has a heavy filament winding,
useless to me...The secondary also has around 17ohms resistance  and
produces 2900 voltsdc but running a pair of 4/240A tubes it only
produces around 800 watts CW....

What would be your pick ?? I will build the case large enough to
accommodate either transformer....

Regards to all.....Bob VK3ZL....