Re: [Amps] power and db

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>, Paul Kraemer <elespe@lisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] power and db
From: DAVE WHITE <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:31:46 +0000 (GMT)
Probably so - in theory - and a conservatively run amp will run for far longer
than one which is being thrashed to death.  The amp that's on the bench for
repairs or awaiting components when KP1 (the last one I need) comes on the air
is of no use to me.

However - in a quote I believe was atttributed to a certain Prof. A. Einstein -
"In theory, theory and practice are the same thing.  In practice they're not."

In practice I'm sure that the human ear can discern a couple of dB if the
signal is marginal.  In theory this would be nonsense but it seems to hold true
for me particularly on 160m.

The Hot-Rodders all tell us that there's no substitute for cubic inches and I
personally don't believe there's any substitute for Watts ERP.

Get it however you can, I think those little watts all count.  They certainly
do in Europe where we have to compete with the Italians......

cheers
Dave G0OIL