[Amps] 3CX800 filament voltage

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 3CX800 filament voltage
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:04:45 EST
The 3CX800 and 3CPX800 both use an odd ball filament voltage, 13.5  volts.
With 1.5 amps.  If you try to find a filament transformer with  that voltage,
it is not that easy.  If you do, it will probably be a lot of  money.  I had
this problem myself and wanted to find an easy solution to  it.  Many of the
seasoned amp builders know this, but some of the newer amp  aficionados may
not.
A little lesson is in order here.  Filament  transformers like most low
voltage transformers used for AC use, have  ratings.  For example you'll see
sales
of 12.6 volt transformers in many  current ratings, like, 1,2, 3, 4, 5 amps
etc amps. There is a good reason for  this.  If you take any of these
transformers and measure the NO LOAD  voltage, it will be somewhat higher than
12.6
volts. once you load it down with  its rated current rating, the voltage will
then
be 12.6 volts.  Back to the  3CX800 filament voltage, I once bought  3 4 and
5 amp 12.6 vac  transformers, I set up a test jig with a 3CX800 and tried each
transformer until  I found one that gave me "about" 13.5 v when connected to
the filament.  As  I recall the 4 amp 12.6 v transformer got me right into the
safe zone of  filament voltage for the tube.  A transformer of this type is
less than  $10.00.
On another note, a filament transformer for a pair of 3-500z tubes is 5
volts@ 30 amps and a filament transformer for one 8877 is 5 volts @ 10  amps.
If
you tried to use a 30A 5V transformer for a pair of 3-500's on a  single 8877,
the filament voltage would be way too high.
You must consider the current rating as well as the voltage  rating.
**************Who's never won?  Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
AOL Music.
(http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000003)