[Amps] The SB220 Mystique

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] The SB220 Mystique
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:19:51 -0800 (PST)
A question for the "experts" on this list....

Why do people like the SB220 so much?  What is it that makes this amp so
"popular" because it has never been "popular" with me.

Yes, I have owned one SB220 and had it for 5 or 6 years...and then I've
operated several others.  I always thought they were TVI Generators.  Using a
Kenwood 820 or 830 or and 850 to drive it...the SB220 seemed to make TVI a
standard ouput.  I tried everything to make sure it was shielded right,
grounded correctly, driven properly, Filters, etc...but alas and alack...I
could never get it NOT to generate TVI.

Now, I understand the engineering that went into this amp.  It is a classic,
but for me when I got rid of it I rejoiced.  I've operated an Alpha 76PA and
91B - Amertron AL80A and AL82 and never had a TVI problem.

The SB220 is going for way to high of price on Ebay.  I am just wondering what
all the "experts" say about this amp.  I will not own one again, but I am
curious as to the opinions.

Lee Buller
K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find
any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is
Common Sense divine?