Re: [Amps] 160m mod to SB220

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 160m mod to SB220
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:25:54 -0600
Pete Smith wrote:
> Hi Chas - I routinely run my basically unmodified SB-220 on 12 and 17
> meters, using the 10 and 15 meter bandswitch positions.  Is MARS now
> using frequencies so far outside the ham bands that the SB-220 really
> won't cover?

oh yes!  in fact virtually 100% of the freqs are outside the ham bands
and  probably 50% are outside the capes of the 220 which are set for
the ham bands.

> I'm interested too in what you unearth about the 160 mod.

so far, it is a LOT of work unless you are into home brewing<G>.
best toe in the water paper is RMeasures' 1989 QST piece which you can
find at http://www.somis.org/add-160m.html

thanks for the reply
chas.k5dam