Re: [Amps] SB-220 troubles

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 troubles
From: "Scott C. McGrath" <mcgrath@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:39:16 -0500
I also am a experimenter I play up in the microwave ranges where the
amplified RF is somewhat dangerous.

In my line of work I see far too little of what used to be known as
common sense.  Of course a prudent ham checks carefully before powering up
but I see far too many hams treat potentially deadly gear like
amplifiers like consumer electronics and assume they are safe.    I have
bought a lot of gear
over the years as one of my pleasures in radio besides experimentation
is bringing back classic gear.    I picked up a amp not too long ago and
the plate relay had
failed the previous owner (a SK) had simply connected the plate supply
to the METAL toggle on the front panel.

 Don't know if there was a causal nexus there but if a new ham had
gotten a 'bargain' I shudder to think what would of happened.when
plugged in and turned on
 This amp was so dirty it required the dishwasher treatment to make it
inspectable for unpleasant surprises.

I simply try to make things as safe as possible within the design
constraints so when it's time to pass along the equipment for the next
ham to enjoy it has no undocumented
gotchas!,   In my case I think about this a lot because I enjoy the
restoration process but owning the equipment afterwards is somewhat less
important unless the piece
speaks to me in some manner so the equipment will eventually be owned by
someone other than myself.   No I don't do this as a business but if I
see a old National, Gonset, Henry that looks like it went 15 rounds with
Muhammad Ali and came out on the losing end.  I will probably buy and
restore it to its initial glory and everything will work as it did
coming out of the factory.

Scott - N1JIN