Re: [Amps] Harris amps

To: "'DAVE WHITE'" <mausoptik@btinternet.com>, <amps@contesting.com>, "'Pete Smith'" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Harris amps
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:01:08 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Harris amps
>
> I've heard good reports of the Harris RF110 which is a pair of 4CX1000As
> (I think).

It has a pair of 4CX1500B's, driven by a pair of 8122's.

The tubes are very under-rated and although the amp is rated
> at 1kW out 2-30MHz I'm sure it could do more.

The 2-2.5 MHz band can be re-tweaked to 1.8-2.0 MHz for max. suds across the
160-meter band.

I limit mine to 1500 watts to protect the doorknob caps and fairly small
inductors in the tank circuit.

It will, however, be limited by the output transformer and the band
switching, which from what I've heard are not, so over-rated.

That is very correct, but there is no output transformer.

> There was one for sale recently on one of the UK ham radio sites, though
> the guy wanted about GBP2500 or something laughably optimistic and the amp
> had home-brew power supplies and control box.  Needless to say he couldn't
> sell it!

Shipping is very expensive these days. The RF-130 weighs c. 300 pounds.

> If you pick up one at a decent price then I'd say it could be a good piece
> of kit assuming no-one's monkeyed with it.  The manuals are all on the
> Boat Anchor Manual Archive on the web

This no-tune amp can be located in another room. It should last a lifetime,
if its limitations are observed.

Cheers Dave, and fellow Amp'ers.

Phil, K5PC