[Amps] MFJ Analyzer for adjusting matching network...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] MFJ Analyzer for adjusting matching network...
From: "KB0NLY" <kb0nly@mchsi.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 01:44:04 -0600
After all the discussion on the subject of selecting the proper value of the
plate and loading cap i came across a lot of articles in my research on using
an MFJ analyzer to do this.  I have access to one so i think i'm going to give
that a shot.  I found some pretty good explanations how to do this.

""Adjusting the output pi-network:

ABSOLUTELY REMOVE ALL TUBE VOLTAGES. Leave the tube in circuit. The plate load
impedance of your amplifier is expressed approximately as: [(plate voltage in
volts) divided by (1.8 times the plate current in amps)].""

For me that would be 2400 plate volts and 600 ma of plate current max, this
works out to 2222 ohms. So a 2.2k resistor should be close enough.

""Make up a resistance value close to this number with low inductance
resistors, and temporarily place this resistor string from the tube anode
connection to ground. This simulates the plate load impedance of the amplifier.
The purpose of the pi-network in the amplifier is to change this relatively
high plate load impedance value to 50 ohms for your transmission line. Now,
hook up a SWR analyzer to the amplifier's RF OUTPUT connector. Adjust the SWR
analyzer for a frequency of 50.1 MHz Adjust the copper coil windings (slightly
expand or squeeze together) in conjunction with adjusting the output loading
capacitor. Adjust for a 1 to 1 SWR reading on the SWR analyzer. When the SWR
reading is flat, your adjustment is finished. The top RF deck shielding cover
on this amplifier had a small effect on this setting, so a tiny adjustment was
necessary when the amplifier was running at full output. It's amazing how close
this procedure gets your amp to the final settings. If you don't h
 ave a SWR analyzer, consider getting one. Remember to remove the temporary
resistor you installed during this procedure. ""

Sounds easy enough, or am i missing something here?

73,

Scott