Re: [Amps] caps across rectifier diodes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] caps across rectifier diodes
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 22:08:06 +0000
Carl wrote:

>In the past I have looked at many amps and PS with that setup with the
>goal of eliminating RF getting to the electrolytics and causing
>premature failure. Something that Ameritrons and Dentrons have in
>common. I have not noticed any diode noise but that doesnt mean it
>wasnt there.
>
>Old technology diodes and mercury vapor rectifiers are well documented
>as hash producers.

Maybe we should also be asking how that hash got into our receivers? Was
it radiated through space or conducted along wiring - and where was the
shielding and decoupling to prevent that?

One feature of older electronics was a tendency to "open-plan" layouts
with very little attention to keeping RF in its proper place. Along with
that was a lack of attention to keeping RF and noise away from places
where they don't belong.

Regrettably, tube amplifiers are one of the places where those old ways
still persist.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK