[Amps] Remote QSK

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Remote QSK
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:17:05 -0500
I want to add QSK to an amp that is not so equipped. I made one based
on Rich Measures QSK schematic for my old 220 and it worked great,
perfect actually. I think I'd rather not do a dead bug approach to
adding QSK to this amp so a remote QSK would be really nice albeit
another something in the shack to clutter it up even more.

There are two remote QSK units I know of, one being the Ameritron PIN
diode QSK and the PIN is attractive as my K3 is also uses PIN diodes
for transmit. The problem for me is the very limited SWR requirement
of 1.5:1 Ameritron limits it to. As all my antennae are 50 ohms at
the coax feedpoint and 160 is resonant at 1.820 & 80 is at 3.530, any
excursion upward will require a tuner. I understand there is a common
history of the light bulb fuse blowing easily and this is a hassle to
access if installed in the amp. The outboard QSK cost is $359.

Another remote QSK is the Array Solutions one which uses a Vacuum
relay and reputedly handles larger SWR mismatches well. This seems
like the most logical option because of the SWR tolerance. Price is
$375

I've got an unused silicone covered RJ1A vacuum relay which would be
perfect for quiet relay operation and I would be more than happy to
homebrew my own remote QSK rather than buying the assembled unit but
all my google searching has not come up with a schematic to build a
remote QSK. Does anyone know of a link that can help me find a
working schematic for this?

Thanks,

Gary
KA1J