Re: [Amps] P/S upgrade

To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "Mike Lucas" <w5chr@bellsouth.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] P/S upgrade
From: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:40:47 -0600
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
To: "Mike Lucas" <w5chr@bellsouth.net>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 7:20 PM

> Whats the value of the choke?? Old handbooks have all the info on thise
> selections that you will ever need.
>
> Yes a variac is just an added stage of regulation to contend with unless
> it is a monster.

Carl:

What qualifies as a monster?

On my largest power supply here, which is an early, untapped, Peter Dahl
unit that runs 5000 volts at 2 amps, I use a 30 amp variac.

Under a 1.5 amp load, with the output voltage set at 4200 volts, no load, I
see about 15% sag under key-down conditions.

Part of that sag is very likely the variac, but when I had the shack wired
for 240 years ago I specified number 8 wire.  I got number 10.  It's over a
hundred foot run, so I think I'm losing something there, as well.

73, Barrie, W7ALW