Re: [Amps] Low power amp...

To: "Ross Primrose" <aj4ll@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Low power amp...
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:14:14 -0400
If you are looking for a barebones circuit I would do it in 2 stages as
it was done in the late 50's with low power from a CE 10A for instance.
Back then it was 4 GG 6AG7's driving modified base GG 1625's.

Use a couple of TV sweep tubes in GG as an IPA stage and then into a GG
813 for up to 300W out.

You can find many real cheap sweeps in the oddball filament voltages
such as 17 & 26V versions. Select ones that have a seperate suppressor
grid pin and not tied to the cathode.

You can even use one to drive 2-4 in GG as did the CB amps and not have
to worry about a 1500V + PS. Driven sanely, sweep tubes can deliver
acceptable IMD and good output. A small fan extends life manyfold

Carl
KM1H