[Amps] winding an HV transformer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] winding an HV transformer
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:37:17 +0000 (UTC)

I've been holding this question for a couple of days now, I'm sure it is very
simple and perhaps I just need some reassurance on the answer.

If you have been following some of this smps discussion, I've got 100Khz pulsed
DC (0 - 340v) which is generated by directly rectifing and filtering the 240 V
AC mains and providing that into an h-bridge.   The h-bridge dumps the 340 V
100Khz square wave into the transformer.

As the QST article recomends, I've wound the transformer with five turns on the
primary and had calculated that I need 30 turns on the secondary.   Performing
some small signal tests, inputting 3.4v pk-pk square wave from my signal
generator yeilds about 20.4 volts pk-pk square wave.   I believe this
relationship should be linear and inputting 340 V will yeild 2040 volts on the
secondary.

At this point the secondary dumps into a full wave bridge rectifier followed by
a filter capacitor.   This is where I am unclear.    When I rectify this with
the full wave bridge, will I get 2040 * 0.90 or will I get  2040 * 1.414 as the
final DC output?     Part of me says I get the 1.414 value of 2885 VDC, however
reading through the handbook, I seem to be reading I'll get 0.90 the output
voltage.

thanks,

Paul