Re: [Amps] winding an HV transformer

To: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>, KD7QAE <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [Amps] winding an HV transformer
From: <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:16:43 +0100
Putting in the feedback to regulate the output is not entirely straightforward,
unless someone has done it all for you.  The inductor in the output is related
to the compensation components around the feedback amplifier.  It's been a
while since I was in that game, but you will probably not find it too difficult
to make it stable at maximum load or minimum load, but the system might take a
bit of time to get it right for full load to no load conditions and back again,
for cw work and there could be some effects with audio modulation of the load
that the compensation needs to take care of: there might be some over-shoot and
settling time issues to solve.  Get a book on the subject and work out the sums
first, it will save a lot of time at least to get working values to start.  I
suspect you might be best with fairly long time constants.  The experts on this
reflector will guide you, no doubt.

David
G3UNA

---- Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net> wrote:

About the chopper...yes, that is exactly the plan.   I've built the chopper
circuit, the handful of components, on a separate board with the idea to
redesign/remove that module later in order to incorporate a feedback loop to
control the duty cycle/frequency to adjust the output voltage; we're on the
same path.

thanks,

Paul, kg7hf