Re: [Amps] Silver plating

Subject: Re: [Amps] Silver plating
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 23:45:10 -0400

Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> Does anyone here have any before and after comparisons of silver
> plating HF tank coils? It seems most of the commercial amateur amp
> makers do it but I have never seen any specific data. All comments
> appreciated.

It's been discussed on here before. From a practical approach I think
you will find the differences on HF to be slight.  Possibly on 10 a bit
more, but with the large diameter tube and strap used ...The silver
looks pretty. Of course if you're building something that'll make your
own band openings...you might see a difference.  I've wound HF tank
coils out of Copper for systems running well past 100 KW. Of course they
had power to burn so-to-speak and they were water cooled.

You should see some of the big LF and HF induction heating generators.
I don't remember any in the MF range.  IIRC there were also some RF
powered plasma generators on an ISM band near 10 meters and they didn't
use any silver plating either

73

Roger (K8RI)