Re: [Amps] High SWR

To: amps@contesting.com, Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High SWR
From: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:51:23 -0700 (PDT)
Before the advent of transmitters with fixed impedance output circuits the vast
majority of amateur radio operators didn't worry about SWR.  Having an SWR
bridge was not high on the list of items which were found in an amateur radio
station.

Basically, if your transmitter would "load" the transmission line and if you
could make contacts, you didn't worry about SWR.  If you had problems "loading"
the feedline or if you had problems "getting out", then you worked on the
antenna until you started making contacts.

At least one of my transmitters can "handle" an SWR of at least 40:1 and I have
several that can "handle" an SWR of at least 24:1.  The result is that if I
happen to use one of those transmitters I just don't worry about SWR.  Yes, the
higher the SWR the less efficient the system generally is.  But, like in the
"goode olde dayes", the "proof is in the pudding" in that if I can easily make
contacts then, frankly, I couldn't care less about improving the SWR,
especially to the extent that some amateur radio operators believe that you
have to achieve.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com