[Amps] S W R

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] S W R
From: "James Bloomfield" <rn23crna@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:47:22 -0400

    O K now let me see if I understand this forward/reflected power as
it applies to a 'high' S W R.

    Say I am transmitting 100 watts into a 3 element yagi monoband 20
meter beam.

    I have 100 watts leaving the transmitter and carried to the driven
element of the beam via high quality coax.  The watt meter says I have
100 watts out.

I have a reflected power of 10% therefore ten watts are being
reflected down to the transmitter.  Now the transmitter Pi L network
re-reflects that 10 watts back to the antenna.  Now then in the next
instant I have 110 watts going into the antenna (100 watts + ten watts
reflected that goes back to the antenna) so 10% is reflected so now in
the next instant I have 110 watts out to the antenna.  Well it seems
to me that if I keep this up I will NOT have to turn on the Amp.
Because in just a few instances I'll exceed the legal limit for
amateur radio and should get a 599 report from every station I
contact.

    Gentlemen, A very good friend, amateur radio operator with a very
modest station who has confirmed contacts with every DXCC recognized
country, told me after a club meeting that contained "the usual
rancor". Amateur radio is a hobby and when it is not fun get another
hobby.

    KV4FE

    Jim Bloomfield

    On the Suwannee River