[Amps] LK500 Question from New Subscriber

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] LK500 Question from New Subscriber
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:10:26 -0500
Hi Folks:  I am a long time reader of the Amps archives, and finally decided to
subscribe.  The amount of expertise available on this list is phenomenal, and
several of you have helped me over the years, either with your postings here or
by answering questions sent directly by me. All of the help is appreciated.
With retirement last year, there is now time to pursue my interest in
amplifiers.

Recently, I acquired a LK500ZB in an estate sale, and it exhibited the tube
socket heating/filament pin solder melting issue that has been described on
here. This one has a high/low speed switch factory installed for the blower,
and the problem was a cold solder joint on one of the series dropping
resistors, causing the cooling fan to run at a very low speed all the time. I
replaced the tube sockets, resoldered the tube filament pins, and replaced the
plate choke; the amp now runs fine, and puts out ~1500 W when pushed (which I
don't do when operating).  However, the fan in this amp is extremely noisy, to
the point where it is annoying to use.

Does anyone know what the CFM rating on this fan is supposed to be? It is a
NIDEC TORIN TA450 115V Model A30045-10.  The fan is obsolete, and I can find no
data from the manufacturer online.  I likely would replace this fan if I could
find another with adequate CFM and a lower noise level.

Likewise, I have searched and can find no recommendation for how much air
should be directed across a 3-500 when using a transverse airflow like the
LK500 and SB220.  I might have missed it, but did look for it.  Does anyone
know wht this airflow requirement is in the application?

Currently, I am running the fan with a standard value dropping resistor used by
Amp Supply on their high speed position, and there is no way that I am going to
slow this fan down and reduce CFM to drop the noise level.

Any suggestions or answers to my questions would be appreciated.

73, Chas N8RR

Likewise, I have not been able to find