Re: [Amps] first time questions

To: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] first time questions
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 09:00:42 -0400
I have no definitive answer to this Jeff as my only experience with
Russian tubes has been the 4CX400A used as replacements in commercial
amps for expensive 8122's for instance. In a NCL-2000 they have
substantially better IMD due to improved internals.

Pulse service as used by the Russians is as Class C switches in radar
modulators and in the USA we currently think in terms of ultra linear
medical applications. Huge difference!

It is rather simple to determine an acceptable B+ by using the very
basic Eimac/ARRL 2 tone test procedure. While it is far from adequate
for human voice it can be used to compare apples against published data.
Any tube that cant make -30dB 3rd order IMD at a reasonable B+ should be
used for target practice along with the ham that puts it on the air (-;

>From stories Ive heard (unconfirmed) some Russian tubes are in the 6LQ6
sweep tube range of high teens IMD. A few homebrew amps I know of
roughly confirm this on the air.

The much vaunted 4CX800A tetrode as used for a decade or more have to be
biased to high ZSAC levels inorder to produce fair IMD.

Since RTTY is steady state there is no IMD concern, it could just as
well be Class C to reduce wasted heat. The primary concern is keeping
tube seals intact as well as not pushing beyond its capability if life
is of importance.

If you want legal limit with IMD in the mid -40's run four 3-500Z's at
1500-1750V. Even Chinese tubes should last for decades at that voltage.

Carl
KM1H