Re: [Amps] PWD 3amp/95uH plate choke/YC-156A on 160 meters

To: "'k7rdx'" <k7rdx@charter.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] PWD 3amp/95uH plate choke/YC-156A on 160 meters
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 19:04:28 -0500

> Would like some comments from YC-156A builders who may have tried the PWD
> 3 amp 95uH plate choke on 160 meters.Works well for me 20-80 but a bit
> squirly so far on 160...Not enough I? I understand a few 3x3 builders are
> running two in series for 160 and switching one out for the higher bands.

95 uh is too little for 160 meters. There is interaction with the tank
circuit. The easiest thing to do is to purchase an R.F. Parts or Ameritron
choke. It is over 200 uh, and has no resonances in the ham bands. You will
need a bypass C at the base of the choke of .01 ufd or so for 160m to keep
RF out of the power supply components.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC