Re: [Amps] Checking relay timing with a scope

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Checking relay timing with a scope
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:12:08 -0400
> "I'm trying to figure out how to use it to verify the relative timing of
> the relays
> in my modified SB-220. Can someone explain at least in general terms
> how to go about this?"

Pete:

Here's a method I use to ensure proper amp relay sequencing:

First, I utilize a dual trace scope (Tektronix SC 504).  Channel 1 is
DC-coupled and is used to monitor the amp key line closure, and Channel 2 is
AC coupled and samples the amplified RF from a Bird sampling device.

External triggering is used to keep from having to "chase" the RF waveform
on the scope's display.  To trigger the scope, I use a microHam CW Keyer
with a modified output on the second keying port.  Instead of an
open-collector, I output + 5VDC through a 1K-ohm resistor.  Most scopes are
looking for a positive-going pulse for the trigger function.  The resistor
protects the keyer from an accidental short of the +5VDC supply.

With the amp engaged, you can send a string of dits into a dummy load and
compare the time delay between the amp key line and the RF envelope.
Moreover, the scope will clearly show how well the keyed waveform is shaped
and more importantly, whether or not a timing error results in the "hot
switching" of the amp.

Paul, W9AC