Re: [Amps] AL1200/RTTY

To: Amplifier Reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL1200/RTTY
From: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 18:17:57 +0000
I bought my AL-1200 years ago from Radio-Kit, when they had a store-front

in some Mall or Industrial Park in NH. I also invested in tube futures by buying

a spare final (only $225 then). I still run the original tube and it still puts
out

the rated power.

I run it on RTTY, but have never had the guts to crank it up to 1,500 out. I

usually run it at 1,000 out. I do run it at 1,500 on CW & SSB though.

They say it is built like a Battleship and I can concur with that. On a couple
of

occassions I forgot to turn the power down on the FT-2000D, but did notice

the Kenwood SW-2000 bouncing off the peg. I corrected that immediately.

Didn't seem to bother the amp though, no creaks, groans or arcs.

I can't think of any reason I should buy one of those $4-5K Amps, what do they

do that the AL-1200 won't !!

73, Dick, W1KSZ