Re: [Amps] 3CX800 Oscillation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX800 Oscillation
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:17:09 +0100
Hardy Landskov wrote:
>I built a 6 meter amp using this tube and put it in a basket case SB200. The
>result was a very beautiful amp if I do say so myself but it "takes off"
>with more than a little drive. Has anyone out there have any experience with
>oscillating 3CX800's? If so what was the cure?

How are you grounding the grid? If you are using contact fingers onto
the grid ring (rather than the pins in the base) the 3CX800 should be
stable up to UHF - unless there is some major external feedback path.

A few quick things to try: Does the oscillation happen with all the
covers on? Does it happen with a dummy load? Have you tried using
different cables?

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek