Re: [Amps] Plate Bypass Capacitor

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate Bypass Capacitor
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:19:19 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 11:00:02 -0400, "David C. Hallam" <dhallam@rapidsys.com>
wrote:

>I am restoring a SBE-33 transceiver, don't ask why, and the plate bypass
>capacitor is a 0.1 uF paper capacitor.  There is also a 0.1 uF paper
>capacitor as a cathode bypass on the pair of PL-500's. Is there any
>reason why I shouldn't replace these with 0.001 or 0.01 ceramic disks?

REPLY:

Manufacturers usually try to save every penny they can, so if they use a
relatively large capacitor like in your TX, there may be a good reason. Or it
just may be they had a bunch of them on hand or got them cheap. You never know.

I would go ahead and try an .01 (or several of them) but be wary of unwanted
oscillations or RF getting back into the PS or low gain. This could manifest
itself in several ways so test it thoroughly on all bands and with as many
different loads as possible. My gut feeling is it will be ok. Good luck.

73, Bill W6WRT