Re: [Amps] 240V Outlet

To: <maflynn@att.net>, <dhallam@rapidsys.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 240V Outlet
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 15:12:36 -0400
> Our electrician recommended that we pull  both phases, neutral and
> ground to each location, regardless if the device needed a neutral.
> This would allow flexibility should we install new equipment.

Excellent advice.

>    * To oversize the wire by at least one gauge size (on a 20 amp
>      circuit, use #10 wire instead of the #12) to address potential
>      voltage drop issues.

It's been a while since I've reviewed that section of the NEC, but I suspect
over-sizing the wire size is fine, but I would never oversize the breaker
current rating, nor would I over-size on the receptacle and plug.  In the
latter case, I've seen instances where a 20-amp 120VAC receptacle is used,
but the conductors are sized at #14 AWG.   Looking at the receptacle gives
the incorrect impression that the branch is rated for 20-amps, when in fact
it's only rated at 15-amps.  The breaker rating, wire size, receptacle and
plug should all match the intended current-carrying capacity.

>    * Use twist-lock or IEC 309 pin and sleeves, instead of straight
>      blade connectors.

Love that idea too.  I use 4-wire, 30-amp Hubbell or Leviton Twist-Lock
types on all amps and 240VAC service to the shack.  Conductor size is #10
AWG to match that of the 30-amp breaker and 30-amp Twist-Lock receptacle.
If I were running smaller amps, I would also consider running companion
4-wire, 20-amp service to better match the amplifier's current draw with
that of the electrical distribution system.

Paul, W9AC