Re: [Amps] I need transfer switch information

To: "'Roger'" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] I need transfer switch information
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:25:44 -0500
A 3PDT switch is needed if the neutral and ground are connected at the
generator. The neutral needs to be switched along with the hot legs.

 If the neutral is NOT connected to ground at the generator then a DPTD
switch can be use just switching the two hot lines and not the neutral. But
the neutral and ground also need to be not tied together in the transfer
switch box in this case. The only place neutral and ground are common is in
the main breaker box. 4 wires need to be run from the generator. The
generator needs to be bonded to the transfer box and main panel.

A note on ground fault interrupters: they do NOT need any ground connection
to operate properly. They measure the difference in current between neutral
and hot. If any difference they trip indicating a current path between hot
and something other than the neutral lead.

73
Gary  K4FMX